August Rushed

Let me just get this out of the way right now. I hated this movie. But I'll tell you everything I loved about it.
I'm not trying to be funny. Or clever. I promise. I'm just trying to figure out how to articulate how I feel about this movie. I cried in the preview, months ago. I'm soft, I know. But it got a pretty low rating on Rotten Tomatoes (36%), so I was scared to watch it. Tonight we finally did. Yeah, I cried. But there was so much wrong with this movie I don't know where to begin. I felt absolutely NOTHING in the scene where they fall in love. And I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. I believe EVERYTHING. My suspension of disbelief is probably the strongest muscle in my body. But some of the stuff in this movie...c'mon...

I loved what the movie was trying to do, though. Music is powerful. Love is powerful. And as a great man once said, you gotta have faith. I was inspired. But this is where things get weird. It wasn't the movie that inspired me. It was what the movie was trying, but failed, to do. (Then did it fail?)-

I'm not a musician, but I appreciated the music theme (though I didn't like the music). Not everyone can hear the music. Not everyone is listening. (I'm reminded of Sidney Deane tellin' Billy Hoyle he can't hear Jimmy).

But here's what I took away from this terrible movie that I hated and loved at the same time: Follow your dream. No matter how silly and unbelievable it may seem. I'll take a little bit of inspiration anywhere I can get it. Even from a bad movie.

No comments: