Ain't writing peace? Actually, no.

Thanks to some good peer pressure, I finally watched the Coen brothers' movie, Barton Fink. I enjoyed it very much. I think I'm just a sucker for any movie about writing or with a character who is a writer. It's the reason I watch movies. Whether it's Melvin Udall struggling to finish his 62nd romance novel or Donald and Charlie Kaufman discussing The Industry,
I'm hooked. I even latched on to Joel Barish, who really only wrote in his journal.

Anyway. Here are some one-liners I wrote down while watching the flick. Forgive me if they're not verbatim.

Can you make us laugh? Can you make us cry? We need more heart in motion pictures. We're all expecting great things. What kind of scribbler are you? What do I write about? Good question. That's the point! We all have stories. Theater becomes as phony as a $3 bill. Writers come and go. But we always need Indians. When he can't write, he drinks. It's my work. I get so worked up. In a sense, we're all alone in the world. Life of the mind- no road map. Can be painful. Pain most people don't know about. Ain't writing peace? Actually, no. Writing comes from an inner pain. Shouldn't your first obligation be to your gift? That sonofabitch. Don't get me wrong. He's a fine a writer. A little lift? Good thing they bottle it. Maybe I only had one idea in me. I am a creator! I am a creator! This is my uniform. This is how I serve my country. I tried to show you something beautiful.

No comments: